Providing a way for families who are experiencing a housing crisis to regain stability and re-establish independence in their lives. ... serving families in Cabarrus and southern Rowan Counties.
The Teaching Housing Program is an important step between housing crisis and the ability to achieve and maintain stability. The program is designed to identify areas for corrective action and develop the disciplines needed for sustainability.
This is accomplished by providing a safe, affordable living environment within a program that includes a disciplined structure, ongoing case management, educational activities and life skills training to prepare the family for an independent permanent housing opportunity.
Families faced with homelessness or housing crisis who satisfy the criteria for participation and who agree to the program guidelines may be accepted into the program.
Participating families share the cost of housing by maintaining responsibility for their utilities.
A rent payment is also established based upon the family's ability to pay.
Participant families are engaged in life skills and employment training through ongoing case management for the purpose of improving household income and establishing the disciplines necessary for sustainable independence.
Teaching House Goals
- Share financial responsibility
- Improve household income
- Reduce or eliminate financial burdens
- Enhance life skills and decision-making skills
- Improve school performance and attendance
- Reinforce positive behaviors
- Regain independence
Teaching Housing Donation Needs
- Large appliances – new and used – clothes washer, clothes dryer, stove, refrigerator
- Couches (not exposed to pets or smoking environments due to allergies in children)
- Chairs (includes upholstered, wooden and rockers)
- Kitchen tables and chairs
- End tables (for living room or bedroom nightstands)
- Chest of drawers
- Kitchen items in good condition (pots and pans, dishes, silverware)
- Linens (blankets, bedspreads, sheets)
- Clean mattresses and box springs (Queen or Twin) - helpful if the frame is included
- New zippered vinyl mattress protectors
- Bathroom items, towels, shower curtains, clear plastic liners, bath mats
- Wall pictures (like oil paintings)
Teaching Housing does not accept:
- Used pillows, used mattress covers/pads/toppers
- China cabinets
- Any household item not listed above
Please call 704-786-4709 and press 5 to leave a message concerning your donation and someone will get back with you.